You are in :
The Eco Select™ Brand: Designating More Eco-friendly Equipment
The Eco Select™ br /and is the keystone of the Pentair Water Pool and Spa® program to meet the dual objectives of a growing percentage of pool owners: save money and make more eco-friendly choices.
It all starts in our product development department. We have dedicated senior staff whose sole mission is to assure that new and re-engineered products are the most eco-friendly and operationally efficient on the market.
You’ll see the Eco Select br /and associated with several existing products and systems that already meet these standards. These products save energy, save water, eliminate or reduce noise, or otherwise contribute to a more environmentally responsible equipment system. In every case, a product that earns the Eco Select and is clearly our “greenest” and most efficient choice.
ECO Select Products
|Check marks indicate direct contributions to reduce environmental||X's indicate indirect contributions.impact.|
- New variable speed pumps with permanent magnet motors and digital controls can save as much as 90% in utility costs compared to one- or two-speed pumps with induction motors.
- If using an energy-efficient one- or two-speed pump, make sure your pump is sized to your pool’s requirements.
- If using a one-speed pump, reduce filtration run time. In general, water needs to be circulated through the filter once every 24 hours.
- If using a two-speed or variable speed pump, use the lowest speed to appropriately circulate the water. Reducing speed saves more energy than reducing run time
- Install a timer or a control system to automate the hours of operation.
- Keep intake grates clear of debr /is. Clogged drains require the pump to work harder.
- To obtain maximum filtration and energy efficiency, backwash or clean your filter regularly, as required
heating & heat loss
- Reduce heat loss by using a pool cover. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, savings of 50% - 70% are possible.
- Fencing, hedges, landscaping, and cabanas that shelter your pool from prevailing winds will further reduce heat loss.
- If your pool heater is more than five years old, chances are a new high efficiency gas heater could quickly pay for itself in utility bill savings.
- A pool heat pump can save up to 80% in energy usage compared to a gas heater. Check with your pool professional to see if a heat pump is appropriate for your region
- If you use your pool only on weekends, reduce your heater or heat pump thermostats settings by eight to ten degrees during the week.
- When leaving for vacation for more than a week, turn off the pool heater or heat pump, including the pilot light. Please use caution in freezing conditions.
- According to the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals and the American Red Cross, the most healthful swimming temperature is 78 degrees. Reducing your heater or heat pump thermostat to maintain a 78 degree or lower temperature will also help conserve energy.
- Install a timer or a control system to automate the hours of operation
- When reopening your pool, make sure your heater or heat pump is working properly.
Data Sheets & Brochures
Adobe PDF | 962 kb
Adobe PDF | 968 kb
Reduce Energy Use: Energy-efficient equipment helps reduce pool operating costs and benefits the environment.
Reduce Water Use: The average backwash uses between 250 to 1,000 gallons of water, without completely cleaning the filter. H2Ouse, www.h2ouse.org
Quiet Operation: Increasingly, local governments are passing noise ordinances which directly affect pool equipment. In addition, equipment noise reduces opportunities for peaceful pool enjoyment. Noise Pollution Clearing House, www.nonoise.org
Long Lasting: Products that have a longer service life need to be replaced less often, reducing the impact of waste management and using fewer natural resources for production and transportation.
Low NOx: Nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions are primary contributors to smog and acid rain.
EPa-Recognized Refrigerant: R-410a refrigerant does not contribute to ozone depletion. Use of R-410a is mandated by the EPa.